it’s just terrible…

December 20, 2007

The last day or two have been very blue around our house. My attempts to rest while I’m on my vacation from the store haven’t exactly worked out. It seemed other things crept in, some good, some draining.

It was one of those days where Lucy tantrumed ALL day long. Our weather proof jackets were slippery so every flailing, throw-back-of-the-head ended up with me holding her by one arm while she slid down my body. Lovely, I know. The boys fought through the afternoon and then I ended the night at a meeting where I huddled in a back room trying to get my kids to cooperate.

Grouchy, abhorrent children aside, a dark cloud rolled in to hang over our house. This dark cloud of course being money, actually the lack of…. budgets, our little house going up for sale in the dead of winter, property taxes, insurance payments…you get the idea. Recycle Christmas was great, representing 70% of our gifts but somehow the joy of giving the other 30% got derailed and headed straight for Christmas disaster. This left everyone feeling low.

In the middle of the Christmas crisis, I got a kindness call which is a weird rescue of sorts. It always puts whatever troubles I have into perspective. On my way to the call, I stopped to pick something up and saw a nail place close by. I decided if I couldn’t afford hair highlights this Christmas, I certainly could afford a quick eyebrow wax. I walked in and a lovely Asian women asked me to sit down.

Me: How are you today?

Woman: Oh just terrible!

Me: Oh dear, I’m so sorry! What is wrong?

Woman: It’s been a terrible year.

Me: Do you think it can get better?

With that she rips the first strip and then the second, then she hands me the mirror.

I try not to gasp.

Woman: No, I don’t think so.

I try to listen sympathetically while I look at what is left of my eyebrow- oh my God, I look like a cancer patient!

Me: Well, this is not good. (her life, not the eyebrow.)

Woman: You like? (while she holds up the mirror)

Me: Yes, thank you. (I lie, what good is it now? and besides, she looks troubled)

Me: Well, please tell me your name, I will light a candle for you when I get home. I’m so sorry things are not good, but I am going to hold onto hope for you that maybe it can get better okay?

Woman: Yes, thank you ma’aam. Thank you miss….

So if you come across a woman with 5″ roots showing and pencil thin eyebrows looking a little blue, it’s probably me. The good news is that hair and eye brows grow, candles hold prayers, there are good girlfriends who listen to tearful phone calls about my vanity, kindness reigns and money is just money, it can’t hold you at night.

p.s. check this guy out- i love this post and call to action!

6 Responses to “it’s just terrible…”

  1. Dear Kindness Girl, I have found my way to your blog, I think, from Jen Lemens blog but not 100 per cent sure. Either way I am so very glad I did, I love it here, you are truly an inspiration. I was sad to read your last post but also so encouraged by your bravery. I hope and pray that life gets better for you in the financial stakes. It is certainly something I can relate to as I have been fighting cancer for the past 5 years and have been only able to work very sporadically so it has been tough. Still I have learned a lot about what is important and how little stuff we actually need. I look at it as though I’m helping the fight against consumerism (spell?) Anyhoo my point is to let you know someone out here in cyber space was touched by your post and will light a candle for you and yours this Christmas Season. Take good Care Jen.

  2. Mary Ellen Says:

    I’m sorry that things are tight. I can relate. But, you did make me laugh, throwing my head back. Very funny. You know, the thing about brows is that they always look worse than they really are. Which I’m sure is the case. šŸ™‚ Hang in there.

  3. clay Says:

    sorry you guys are having a hard time šŸ˜„

  4. kindnessgirl Says:

    thank you all for kind words, the blue is lifting…all will be well! (even pencil eyebrows)
    merry, merry christmas!

  5. Amy Says:

    I am sorry to hear that things have been tough lately. It always seems worse around such a joyous holiday. I will light my window candle for you tonight, and I hope that your dark cloud will dissappear. Let me know if you need anything!

  6. Melissa Says:

    Just found your blog through a blog through a blog (isn’t that how it always goes?) and read your Family Stone post. Can’t tell you how ironic I found it, being that ours was much of the same and Christmas Eve found me on the couch watching the movie, simultaneously laughing and crying. Wishing you well this holiday season.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: