The Magic Wand Project For Kids is a community adventure where kids can discover their kindness magic can change our world!
Years ago I was running errands with my kids when I happened to over hear a conversation between my kids Jack and Lucy about magic. It changed my view on magic and kindness forever.
Jack (age 7) and Lucy (age 5)
Lucy: You know magic is not real… (said in a tone of sadness)
Jack: Yes it is Lucy!
Kindness is magic.
The earth is magic.
The way the planets turn is magic.
How we survive is magic.
You are magic Lucy…
Lucy: So am I wrong? Because I thought there was no magic.
Jack: No, how you are in our family is kindness Lucy, and that is magic. When you just shared with Lyra, that is it. I believe in you Lucy. Everyone is magic, if they spread kindness, joy and love, everyone can be magic.
Lucy: I guess you are right. (in a hopeful voice)
Jack: Magic doesn’t come from the world, it comes from people, and their kindness, that’s where magic comes from.
Lucy passed Lyra a small toy when she cried.
Jack: That’s it! There you go spreadin’ it, spreading magic.
I realized that kids are experts in kindness and magic so I had an idea. I found some old magic wands I had left over from a project long ago and wondered what would happen if we let all that kindness magic out into the world? How far could it go? What would happen if we let let kids show us the way? How would it change our city and communities? How would it would it change us?
1. We are leaving 100 magic wands all over our city (RVA) at playgrounds, libraries, schools, any place a kid might find it.
2. Attached to the wand is an invitation to do 3 acts of kindness and discover your kindness magic together.
3. When you are done, send your pictures or tell us about your kindness adventures at The Magic Wand for Kids Facebook Page .
(or at LEAST show us your best magic wand power pose! :))
4. THEN, leave the kindness magic wand some where else for some other kid to find, or ding dong ditch it to a friend, or sneakily leave it for the next class to discover!
1. We aren’t sure what kind of kindness to do? It seems the best way to make that first step to create something beautiful is to play and start in the place of something you love. Here are a few ideas:
If you love to bike, use your bike in your mission or have a lemonade stand to donate to a charity like this.
Love playing at the river? Pick up litter and then go for a hike or take a swim.
Do you love your grandma? Make a card telling her and also one for your old lady neighbor!
2. What if I am not feeling very kind right now? Or my kid doesn’t want to share the magic wand?
It probably means you need some kindness yourself! Start by doing something kind for you AND someone you love at the same time!
Or make another wand to pass on with the tag and keep the first wand to do more kindness!
3. I don’t live in Richmond but I REALLY want to play along. Where can I get some wands? Or I live in RVA and can’t find a magic wand of kindness?
You can! We are HOPING you do actually! We are really hoping this project will spread all over the country and beyond.
4. This would be rad to do at school! Hello anti-bullying. How do I pass this on to teachers and school administration?
We also have The Magic Wand Project For Kids Teacher Guide for schools and educators looking for a little more direction.
You can download the Teacher/School Guide here.
5. I wanna share this story but it needs to be simple, not so many words. Got anything?
Wanna find or hunt for a wand?
Look for clues or sightings on the Facebook page in the next couple weeks!
YOU are MAGIC! Thanks for being part of The Magic Wand Project For Kids!
p.s. you may want to also check out The Magic Wand Project for creating city love and change!